Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hockey Strategy Videos

By Owen E.

As someone who had never played organized hockey (ice or floor) before coming to the DCHL, I didn’t have any deep knowledge of hockey strategy or positional play when I started playing in the Summer 2013 season.  I had ideas about where to play when on offense or who to cover and what to do defense, but no guiding principles or foundational knowledge about how to fit what I do as an individual into what is needed as a team of players working together.

My insight was limited to what I may have picked up watching NHL or college hockey games.  From a player perspective, I never really thought about questions such as: Where should I be as a right wing when the ball is in my defensive zone?  Where should I set up for a defensive zone face-off?  What is the first thing I should do after the ball is dropped?

During those first few weeks I found a lot of great, interesting hockey strategy videos on the web and figured I’d share them here with anyone that is in the same situation.
There are a lot more neat strategy and technique videos on these YouTube pages:

No comments:

Post a Comment