Sunday, December 29, 2013

On the Eve of the X Division Draft with GM Suds


DCHL Reporter: So here we are. On the eve of the 2nd ever DCHL X draft. We have 60 players on the board. What are your thoughts on the field?

GM Suds:  It is a deep and contentious field.  It took me three hours to dissect/handicap the players and rank them.  There are so many similar players in the middle to the lower end of the draft so it is hard to separate them.  I will say this.  It will be the best X Division ever.  I am confident in saying that the Puck Buddies much less any PRO team will have a hard team beating any of the four X teams if they are drafted properly.  X may not be “elite”. But it is the highest brand of hockey DCHL has to offer.

DCHL Reporter: Any pressure knowing you did draft and put together last year’s champion neXus? Do you think you can pull it off again?

GM Suds: No promises. There is a lot of talent here. But I do have a natural edge in that I watch nearly every game every week and help with stats. So that is huge. I am not sure how the other GMs will put together their draft board. But if they are relying on stats they will be sadly mistaken.  neXus was not a stats “heavy” team.  There are certain things you cannot measure in stats.

DCHL Reporter: Is there a prototypical player you look for?

GM Suds: Let’s just say that I want well rounded talent. Someone who is not one dimensional.  It makes it easier when you do not have to draft for a position or need. You draft a player and then move him/her into positions that work best for that player and the team instead of drafting for a position and then have a player move into it.

DCHL Reporter: What is your draft philosophy?

GM Suds: Offense puts people into the seats. But defense and goaltending wins championship. This is true for most sports. Just ask the Washington Capitals. For years, they have had offense but a suspect D and above average goaltending. And where has that gotten them? Nowhere!  They have not even come close to winning anything of significance in the postseason. The tendency in X is to load up on “talent” and “offense”. This strategy works for regular season success (see Xit Strategy) but not in the playoffs.  Plus all the guys seem geeked up to score.  It is not about scoring and stats. Attitude is important. I usually avoid guys enamored with stats and personal egos. 

With all that said, you do need to score goals. So you have to find that right balance.

DCHL Reporter: What do you think is the one common mistake most GMs will make?

GM Suds: Drafting for simply talent or stats. There are so many intangibles --- especially those that have nothing to with physical skills.

DCHL Reporter: Why did neXus succeed?

GM Suds: We were not the most talented team on paper. We were the most complete. And the sum of our parts was greater than the individuals. Some rival GMs thought we had superstars. I disagree.  We have a lot of solid players who “looked” like superstars because we put them in a position to succeed. Everyone did their part. It is cliché. But it is true. We were the best “team” --- not the best group of “talent”.

DCHL Reporter:  I would be remiss if I did not ask this. How is the original neXus team --- now called Puck University --- looking moving into PRO next season?

GM Suds: We do not and could not have everyone from the old team come with us to PRO division due to league rules. But that is ok. We were able to get outside talent. No superstars. Just solid players with good attitude and work ethic. We will be more than fine. I like what we have on paper.  It will take us some time to develop chemistry with the new players but I expect the team to come together in the middle to latter half of the season just like the original neXus.

DCHL Reporter: Let’s dream a little. If there was female player you can draft onto neXus if they were available. Who would it be?

GM Suds: I have made it no secret that I am a huge Lucy M. fan.  Next time I see her I have to get her autograph. That is how much I respect her game. Others would be Keri R. and Lindsey B.

DCHL Reporter: Back to this draft. Who do you think gets drafted first? And would you draft the same player? What position do you feel is a must draft early?

GM Suds: I am assuming Jake B. will be the first pick. And deservedly so. Would I draft him first? I am not going to give away that strategic info. As far as position, I don’t think there is any urgency.  Last season I felt you had to draft a goalie early.  And we made the right move in getting Mel K. with our 2nd pick. Mel came with Jason M. --- her husband to be --- so it was a great package deal. This season there is depth at goaltending so I don’t think you pick goalies that early. You have to put the right value on position based on talent.  And then you have to anticipate where your rival GMs have those players rated and not choose them too high or too low. It is somewhat like a chess game.

DCHL Reporter: What is the one regret you had last draft?

GM Suds: Actually it was the supplemental draft. I wanted Luke T. But the GM above me chose him. However it worked out. I got Chris T. --- not a bad consolation prize, lol.

DCHL Reporter: What do you think will make or break a team’s draft?

GM Suds: The later rounds. There are a lot of gems out there. neXus was able to turn some of the late round gems like David Alt. and John M. into solid team players. Team depth is important. Can your Players 8 through 12 fill in on top line or 2 without losing much? Can they contribute in other ways? This will be a key.

DCHL Reporter:  Good luck!

GM Suds: Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment