Ok --- I have been away from Facebook since yesterday
evening so I am catching up now. I will
put my responses in a blog. Here is one part I will write here though. I
encourage those “lobbying” to read the blog where I answered your questions in
a whole.
1)
I can see clearly now how my needling and
attempt to create some excitement/energy is being misinterpreted by some as serious
trash talking or real intent. I thought part of the charm of social media is to
have fun and not take things so seriously. I have gotten plenty of private
emails and FB messages saying they love this and get that it is all in good fun
and want me to continue. But apparently some take it way too seriously. This is
something I have to own and correct. This was a miscalculation on my part
because some people really take it seriously enough to jump to conclusions on
items that have no relevance what so ever or have little background info.
Again, this is on me. So I need to change that. So this FB page will go back to
being bland and boring (no “excitement” creation).
2)
No matter what anyone says --- this is about
CURRENT talent in DCHL. One of the biggest mistakes I made in DCHL was helping
FILL teams. This is a practice that I don’t believe most leagues get involved
with their teams. I have always been loyal to teams and players and instead of
letting a team FOLD, I always get new players and fill their rosters. The problem
with this is that it has become a CRUTCH now for some teams --- not all. This
is why I have no problem with top level PRO teams LEGALLY stacking their roster
with outside “talent” because I do not have to worry about filling their
rosters. Am I a fan of this strategy?
NO. It is obvious to most players in this league that some of the top teams
only accept “top level talent”. Unless you are star player you will never play
for them. This is stacking. I am not
fond of it personally but it is legal if done so with outside talent. I stated
to neXus management that I did not want neXus to go in this direction. We are not going to cut people on our current roster
who are not “top level” worthy nor are we just simply go after “top talent” free
agents. We want to show to that you can take PRO level players (that are not
super stars but can play well) and build a team of unity and strength and
togetherness and win. It is not all about stacking. This is why I mentioned
that neXus will be built the right way --- LEGALLY via roster rules and
ETHICALLY (we will not discriminate on your talent level --- though you do need
to be able to PRO level). This is why I
am huge fan of PRO team such as Funkmaster Redux and REC team such as Scabs.
They have never cut a player because he or she was not good enough. They have
had plenty of players who may not have been PRO or REC worthy but they have
developed them. I know their roster
well. They truly personify what the league should be all about. This is why I
give them constant praise. They win the “right way” in my opinion. But like I
said again , stacking with outside talent is legal but I personally am not a
fan of it.
3)
The issue is when current teams then try to
stack with CURRENT LEAGUE talent. There
is no way that is happening. When people want to change teams, I allow it but
they only go to the bottom level teams to help distribute talent. They do get
choices. Some teams are not popular. I can tell you that two of the bottom PRO
teams had chances to get significant players next season but the players turned
them down. The player should have a right to choose from a small group of bottom
teams. Those bottom teams cannot complain because they are NOT ENTITLED to get
those players. If they want to improve, they can get better on their own and find
outside talent. But to put the onus on the league not only to GIVE them players
but then GIVE them TOP talent is a little unfair. The league tries and it has
worked well for 13 seasons if you look at how competitive the divisions are!
But we cannot force the issue.
4)
There is a misconception on “swing teams” so I
will clarify. We can only have 8 Pro or 10 Pro teams. We cannot do 9 because it
is a scheduling nightmare. So we have to do groups of 2 if we stay PRO. As far
as indications from some bottom level PRO teams and potential REC teams who can
possibly promote that they would like to get Current League Talent to move up
or stay, I find this very unfair. Again,
if your team cannot stand on your own two feet and be competitive on your own, you
are not entitled to go UP or stay UP .
Going after current league players to make you better is not within the
spirit. Either you are good enough or
you can get better by getting talent outside. But to ask the league to help you
to make you more competitive is unfair if you are a “swing team” WHILE
REQUESTING PLAYERS at the same time. I do not want to put a team in a division
where they would get killed like UT did this season. This is not fair to the
division or to the team. 5MM was a team
that should have been REC last year but I gave them a reprieve and kept them as
PRO despite the majority of the league stating they deserve REC. Well this
season they only had one regular season win. Yes, they have roster and
attendance issues. But they cannot ask me to fill rosters AND keep them PRO
when there are 8 other teams clearly ahead of them. At this point they would be the 9th
best team in PRO and may win one or two games again even IF they fill roster
holes. Same thing applies to Babylon
Warriors. They are the only REC team who indicate they may promote if they win
the Cup. But they would get KILLED in
PRO and may not even win one game. But to ask the league to make them “better”
or to ask for current league talent is unfair. Either you belong or you make
yourself belong by getting outside talent. I, for one, will not let you PROMOTE
if you cannot prove on paper you can be competitive. And to all swing teams ---
if you feel you are getting “slighted” on potential talent you are sadly
mistaken . The league does you a favor by helping fill your rosters. To feel
entitled to be able to get top level current league talent is wrong. Prove on merit you belong. Moreover, all the potential current FREE Agent
talent was given options to play for you. They turned it down. So it was not
that you were not an option for free agents. Thus I will have to add new
players to your team for whom I can neither vouch nor guarantee their talent
level.
5)
Another issue I find that I keep burning new
players on certain teams EVERY SEASON. And it is the same teams who ask for
more players AND higher end talent. For whatever reason those teams cannot
retain players. Maybe it is time I break up those teams and give a new team a
try instead of keep sending and burning new players? I am doing this with the REC team now as we
speak. And I have a PRO team (not 5MM) that may be considered next season as
well. If it is not working, then we need to make changes. I am not going to
keep retooling. Let’s give some new free agent team a try!
Bottom line --- people want to win a little too much in our
league. And sometimes people lose sight on why we are here: to have fun. I find
the need to win a little nauseating. Have fun and do things the right way. If you
win, great. Your goal should be to have fun
and make lifelong friends. I sometimes
feel the league needs to tone down the recognition because it only makes
everyone’s ego get bigger and others aspire to be recognized. Contrary to what people think, winning is not
everything. This is again why I will keep mentioning Funkmaster Redux and Scabs
as my favorite teams!
Some clarity is probably needed here. The Babylon Warriors never requested that the league "make them better". Suds and I had discussions about goalie options next season because Todd is retiring, and Mel's name came up. He then apprised me of the fact that PRO would get much tougher, and that we should beef up if we wanted to promote if we win the REC cup. So we discussed other potentially available X / Rec players. That's the long and short of it.
ReplyDelete